Article Image Alt Text

March 31 deadline to change for party affiliation

Oklahomans who want to change party affiliation, must submit their change no later than March 31, according to Haskell County Election Board Secretary Rhonda Hurst.

Voters may change their party affiliation online using the OK Voter Portal at or by completing a new Voter Registration Application.

Hurst reminds voters that no party changes are allowed between April 1 and Aug. 31 during an even-numbered year.

“If we receive your request after March 31, we are required by law to hold that request and process it in September,” Hurst said.

Oklahoma has three recognized parties: Democrat, Republican and Libertarian.

In Oklahoma, voters must be a registered member of a party in order to vote in that party’s primary election. Independents are permitted to participate in a primary election, only if a party officially requests its elections be opened to Independent voters. Currently, only the Democratic Party allows Independents to vote in its primary elections.

All registered voters, regardless of political affiliation, can vote for any candidate during a General Election.

Voter Registration Applications can be downloaded from the State Election Board website at: 

Applications are also available at the Haskell County Election Board, located at 202 E. Main St. Stigler (Courthouse Annex). 

 Office hours are 8 a.m. a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. 

For questions, contact the Haskell County Election Board at 918-967-8792 or .

Stigler News-Sentinel

204 S. Broadway,
Stigler, OK 74462

Fax: 918-­967­-4289